Friday, December 1, 2006

American Travails - Part I

On the "auspicious" day of 09/11, I became yet another Indian stepping into the land of opportunities, the land of power and the land of Bush.Stepping out of the aircraft into the tarmac of the Wayne County International Airport in Detroit, after a journey that took me to Bombay and then Amsterdam, the bleary-eyed me sleep walked to the nearest Immigration Counter at a furious pace to beat the rush of people. As always the americans had one Queue and us"Non resident aliens" another. Fortunately I managed to reach the front of the Alien queue in no time and I found myself standing before the Immigration counter inhabiting a monstrous looking Lady resembling a gargoyle and who looked warily at me. I tried to put my best smile and my best manners before her. [I had learnt that having to smile, a few extra sorries, please and thank you had a remarkable effect on people]. My paperes were in order and asked how long i intended to stay in her land. She did not even bother to listen to my answer and merely tossed my passport to the next gargoyle who asked if i hadany forex and if i carried any explosive material [did I look like it?] . I said No. She nodded and nonchantly wished "Welcome to America" as if she weredoing me a favour. Nevertheless i was relieved.I was finally in America. Not that it was a dream. Still..