Friday, September 1, 2006

On Long Queues and Onam Releases

Watching movies, after standing for long periods in the sweltering sun, in queues snaking their way to the mainroads, is indeed an exhilirating experience for some (read ME). When you reach the front of the queue and look back, it gives you immense satisfaction and you feel you are on top of the world!.I used to watch many a movie in Trivandrum in this manner. After getting up in the morning and swallowing a cup of tea and without even brushing my teeth, many a time I have caught a KSRTC bus to Thampanoor to watch the latest release. More often than not, that "release" would have Mohan Lal - the undisputed king of Ananthapuri and the darling of many, including yours truly.It goes without saying that Lalettan movies open big in Trivandrum. Kalapani which was released in the early 90's had queues starting from Sreekumar (where it was shown) to as far as SMV School. (For those not familiar with the Trivandrum topography, SMV is about little less than a kilometer from Sreekumar.). Even Lalettan's worst movies like Thandavam and Praja have resulted in mini stampedes in Trivandrum.Being home for a sufficiently long period (> 3 days), I decided to "queue" up in front of a theatre - Kripa - to watch our Megastar Mammotty's Onam release this time - Bhargava Charitham Moonnam Khandam. I watched it more for Sreenivasan than Mammukka. I was also extremely hopeful that it would prove to be a BIG HIT, as its original "Analyze This" was a comedy. Alas Bhargava Charitham proved to be a major let-down.And I chided myself for not watching Keerthichakra or Vettayadu Vilayadu, the other movies at that time. I consoled myself thinking - Ella police-ukaranum oru abadham pattumello!.BELATED ONAM WISHES TO ALL.